[MUD-Dev] Licensed setting MMOGs

Ian McDonald ian.mcdonald at bbc.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 11:33:23 CEST 2004

In summary:

So, there are a few based either on licensed RPG settings or
in-house settings.

The one live licensed setting seems to be Ragnorak (based on some
manga-style comics with which I am unfamiliar). Wheel of Time Online
is still negotiating a license.

The one other game based on a major TV/movie license (Herc/Xena)
actually seems to have lost its license, which is a pity.

I was particularly wondering whether anyone has treated events in
the primary medium as metaplot for the MMOG. For example, a Star
Wars: Galaxies setting contemporaneous with the prequel movies where
in-game events move the story forward according to events in the
between-the-movies comics, animated TV show ("The Clone Wars"), et
cetera. It looks to me that no-one has done that yet, but I'd
welcome counter-examples.

I'm aware of the downside of metaplot in tabletop RPGs, so can see
why folk would be reluctant to try it, even if they had an apt
license.

Thanks,

Ian