[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Brian Hook hook_l at bookofhook.com
Mon Apr 12 14:22:16 CEST 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:14:28 -0400, Jeff Fuller wrote:
> Brian Hook wrote:

>> That's not skill, that's experience and learning.  >>

> How else would you aquire a skill?

Okay, point taken.  I guess what I'm trying to differentiate between
is innate skill -- such as the training and reflexes you acquire
from playing a shooter, or the intuitive analysis you have to make
during a strategy game -- vs the knowledge-based expert-system type
rote play mechanics I typically see in combat oriented MMOGs.

The typical "skill" in a game like EQ is just a huge expert system
based on knowledge, which to me isn't nearly as challenging to
master or become an expert at compared to games where innate player
ability is stressed to a higher degree (shooters, Warcraft 3,
Civilization, etc.).

Brian