[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Sat Apr 10 07:49:47 CEST 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Travis Casey wrote:

> Not necessarily, any more than someone with lousy skills and lots
> of time is necessarily rewarded by other systems.  Buying
> something is one thing; being able to use it effectively is
> another.  To use a real-world analogy (probably a bad idea, I
> know), even if I could spend all the money I wanted on a car, I
> still wouldn't be able to win a NASCAR race.  I don't have the
> driving skill.

Right on. That's essentially exactly the analogy I use when pitching
our business model to investors. A set of golf clubs are worthless
outside of the context of golf, as they're just some oddly shaped
metal sticks.  Within the context of golf not only do they have a
lot of value, but they can provide a small advantage, PROVIDING you
know how to use them.

Of course, there's no available golf club that's going to allow me
to compete with Tiger Woods, because I lack the skill to do so.

--matt