[MUD-Dev] Random Placename Generation

Joshua Hughes jhughes at solidtechnology.com
Fri Apr 9 09:36:05 CEST 2004

Matt Chatterley:

> This is a topic which I haven't seen discussed for a while
> (although I'm certain it resides in the archives in some
> form). Last time I read up on the topic of random name generation
> it was in the context of player/NPC names - this time, I'm
> thinking bigger. Much bigger.

On my 'random stuff' generators on www.squid.org, I started off with
porting the source code for a random name generator called Names
2.01.  It basically operated on a pre-mid-suf style system for
creating names off of cultural rulesets.

Eventually, I found Tablesmith, ( http://www.mythosa.net/ ) and
built a php page that supports most of it's functionality.

The main strength behind Tablesmith's system is that it's not
limited to a single hard coded rule sets.  The tables can chain
together making for a very flexible system.  Some of the rulesets
for it even create random dungeons out of geomorphs.

Here's an example of a Tablesmith style chart that I just roughed
out:

  // : indicates that the first field is a number range on the
  // "dice".

  :Start
  1,[Human] // jump down to the human table below
  2,[ElfTable.Elf] // jump to the "Elf" table in "ElfTable"
  3-4,[OrcTable.Orc]

  // ; indicates that the number list is a probability.. 1 chance in
  // X total.

  ;Human
  1,[FemaleHumanName]
  1,[MaleHuman]

  :MaleHuman
  1,[Pre][Mid][Suf] the [Jobs.NobleJob]
  2,[Pre][Mid][Suf] the [Jobs.PeasantJob]
  3,[Pre][Mid][Suf]

  :FemaleHumanName
  1,Susan
  2,Carol
  3,Judy

  :Pre
  1,Bi
  2,Ba
  3,Bo

  :Mid
  1,l
  2,m
  3,r
  4,d

  :Suf
  1,io
  2,ian
  3,us
  4,ar

The system actually gets a lot more complex than this.  There are
various string and number formating functions.  You can implant
variables, print variables, "fudge" the dice rolls based on
variables, etc.  An example of a table that uses some of this is:
http://www.squid.org/tools/random/QuestGen.tab

I never did integrate this into my MUD, but if I had a large enough
demand for random information, I'd definitely go about it in this
manner.  If I remember correctly, the "API" for TableSmith is in a
windows help file with the program download.  It's definitely worth
looking at.

-Josh Hughes
-desolation.org, goblinworkshop.com