[MUD-Dev] Player Justice

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Apr 5 15:33:45 CEST 2004

David writes:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Jester wrote:

>> I disagree, as you pointed out a banned character can easily
>> regain access to the game, so rather than eject the player in the
>> first place (loosing track of them in the process) use a system
>> that makes their in-game experience less pleasant i.e. Being
>> locked up, fined, subjected to public ridicule etc. That way the
>> more they try to spoil thing for others the more *their*
>> enjoyment of the game is negatively effected.

> I have to agree with Jester. The last thing you want to do is to
> make your job harder by loosing track of the griefer. Once you
> have identified them the most effective strategy I've seen is to
> simply remove them from circulation without them realising it. Let
> them roam around and talk to other players. Let them speak on
> channels. But don't let anyone but them see what they are saying.

Any MMORPG pursuing this tack will have to be careful about charging
such a customer for the services of the game.  Yes, the customer has
undoubtedly violated the End User License by doing whatever they're
doing, but to take away the ability to play in a pay-for-play
environment could draw a suit from the disgruntled customer.  Just
something to keep in mind.

Me, I'd still ban the credit card and go from there.  But I have
that luxury because I'm not running a game :)

JB