[MUD-Dev] 2d mapping in SQL

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Mon Apr 5 11:04:30 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 05:20, Matt Chatterley wrote:

> Of course, after that, comes the issue of 'map revelation'. Should
> all players have access to the entire map, or should it be
> discovered over time?  Each outpost might be able to scan a given
> distance around itself and then further map 'discoveries' could be
> made by scouting missions (perhaps with specialized craft), and by
> trading - either buying map information, or part-exchanging for
> goods (or indeed map data in return).

That depends on the benefits of cooperation versus conquering.  If
my revealed universe consists of me and one other player, what do I
stand to gain by not attacking them to outweigh the extra territory
they represent?  In GalaxyNG, for example, the best way to grow and
gain power is to take more territory.  Non-aggressive strategies
leave you falling further and further behind your competitors.

If you want to encourage peaceful trade, I suggest you find a way to
make a larger empire harder to manage in some meaningful way:
resource distribution logistics, difficulties of defence,
diminishing returns, and so forth.  That way, when two players
encounter each other, dominance should be a lower priority option
than mutually beneficial trade.

I think I've digressed a bit from the actual topic in question,
though.  :)

--
bje