[MUD-Dev] re: Sun's Sim Server and Gordon's 10 Reasons (the firstone :))

Koster Koster
Thu Apr 1 23:14:34 CEST 2004

From: ceo

>   Jeff's 10 Answers to Gordon

This post was worth reading just to see someone call Gordon Walton
naive, particularly about online games.

That said, and no offense to the folks at Sun, the naivete is most
likely on the other foot. (Can naivete be worn on feet?) Gordon has
quite a lot of experience to back him up, and this guy doesn't seem
to have any.

To broaden the discussion a little to the general topic of server
middleware/server codebases: what's the general feeling of the list
on this issue? My personal take is that middleware generally makes
too many assumptions that end up constraining the eventual game
design--plus, you have to rewrite most of it anyway or end up with
generic stuff. This has seemed to me to be true with muds and true
with MMOGs.

I'm generally a big fan of constraints when working on something,
yet at the same time there are many avenues for design exploration
which can get curtailed very early on by the limits of architecture
(not too many ecological sims within Diku codebases, not too many
castle siege warfare systems in MUSHes, and so on).

-Raph