[MUD-Dev] A world without charity

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Sep 26 22:32:21 CEST 2003

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Fri 26 Sep, Eamonn O'Brien wrote:
> From: Corpheous Andrakin <corpheous at yahoo.com>

> No, newbies cant be given anything other than the crappiest of
> items. They can still find them for themselves.

A much simpler solution, compared to restricting trade, would be to
limit the effectiveness of equipment to the skill of the character
using it. Giving a new character the ultimate sword of doom and
nasty slicing does not grant that character super powers, as they
can not use it more effectively than the standard rusty newbie
dagger.  The only difference would be that the standard sword would
quickly run out of effectiveness as the character improves her
skill, where the ultimate sword would scale up with her till a much
higher skill level.

This would still prevent twinking but it would be much less
unpopular with the players. Except for the ones who want to cheat
but nothing will satisfy them but instant god-like powers.

marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey