[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 4, Issue 30

Chanur Silvarian chanur at guildsite.com
Fri Sep 26 16:40:21 CEST 2003

"Rayzam" <rayzam at travellingbard.com> wrote:

> For example, when you read a book, you're immersed in it. Yet it
> has chapter and page numbers. So at any point, you can see how
> much you've advanced (page #). You can see what general level
> you're at (chapter). These don't take away from immersion just by
> their existence.

> In a mud, exp and player stats are metagame numbers. They measure
> advancement and progression.

This particular analogy falls flat because the author does not
(generally) number the pages.  Two different copies of "The Hobbit"
published on two different sizes of paper or in two different size
fonts would not match up in page numbering.

The complete removal of chapters and pages from a book would not
reduce enjoyment of the book because the chapter numbers and page
numbers have no impact whatsoever on the story being told.
Conversly the level and experience numbers have a very direct impact
on the gameplay of these types of games.  Complete removal of
experience, level, attributes, etc. would change the basic mechanics
of the game, a game without levels is very different from one with
levels (level vs. skill systems).

Hiding the level/exp numbers from the player does not change the
underlying mechanics, but changes the "focus" of the game.  I still
don't agree that a player needs to know what level their character
is or how much experience is necessary for the next level.  I
believe that this information only contributes to experience
grinding and does nothing to improve the quality of play.  Think of
it this way... if you progressed in an MMO by reading (as you do in
a book) then people would read as fast as they could to move through
pages and chapters without ever enjoying the story of the book.  If,
however, progression metrics were removed from the player's view
then it will change focus on enjoying the game rather than grinding
out as much experience as possible.  Some will still grind
experience, of course, but when it is removed as the central focus
those who do not enjoy that play style won't feel forced into it.

I can just imagine if Tolkein had written according to the idea that
putting meta information into the "world" was okay... "No, Frodo, I
cannot take the ring!  Only hobbits with their +35 magic resistance
are able to withstand its effects." or how about "... and they awoke
in the house of Tom Bombadillo, the level 63 naturalist."  Even as a
footnote at the bottom of the page this type of information would
have detracted from, rather than enhanced, the book.

The meta information does not belong in the world whether the world
is a book or a game.