[MUD-Dev] Re: A world without charity (was Discussion of MUD systemdesign, development, and implementation)

Eamonn O'Brien decado at esatclear.ie
Fri Sep 26 03:09:35 CEST 2003

From: Chanur Silvarian <chanur at guildsite.com>

> The problem would be finding players for the world.  If I could
> not hand items to my wife or my friends without them needing to
> repay me for the items then I would simply not play the game.
> What you suggest is a nightmare to the "social" aspect of the game
> regardless of what it does to any other parts.

> I have never paid real money for any ingame item/character nor
> have I ever sold an ingame item/character for real money so that
> is not why I make this statement, I just like to help out my
> friends and family and would not play if that were not possible.

These two points basically sum up the heart of the proposal, would
trading the ability to give items freely to your friends be too much
of a tradeoff if the payout was not having to compete against
twinked out chars, and playing in a game where a player with a
higher real life bank balance has an advantage. I don't doubt that
for some people this would be a worthwhile trade, the real question
is probably would more people rue the downside than would enjoy the
upside?

Eamonn