[MUD-Dev] RE: A world without charity

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Thu Sep 25 09:04:49 CEST 2003

From: Castronova, Edward

> behind the scenes, so I can't see much of a downside. What are we
> missing?

Well it would mean that if a 'higher level' character dropped or
lost a highly valuable item, it wouldn't be able to be found by
'lower level' character. That seems to be contrary to what one would
expect.

Because, if you could drop & pick, this would get around the 'no
charitable exchange' rule.

But, I guess one could imagine a game full of 'ladies of the lake'
that would grab all lost treasure and only relinquish it back to
characters of appropriate level. Seems a bit strained though.

You could always make items powerful only in the right hands, or
even that they decay if in the wrong hands.