[MUD-Dev] RE: A world without charity

Erik Bethke erik at taldren.com
Wed Sep 24 22:40:51 CEST 2003

<EdNote: Minor edits made>

Edward Castronova wrote:

> I've had exactly the same questions and come up with exactly the
> same answers: ban financial and material charity and you eliminate
> 99 percent of eBaying, as well as a host of other problems. And I
> am just as eager to hear what the devs have to say. I haven't been
> behind the scenes, so I can't see much of a downside. What are we
> missing?

Your goal whether you are commercial or non-commercial is to provide
a service for players to enjoy.  If anything we should create tools
to facilitate the real cash trades and ensure that the rip-off rate
is minimized.

It comes down to the classic divide between GMs - some are there to
host a fun party between friends, and some are there as the ultimate
rules lawyer.

Just make your game mechanics hold up and prosper in the context of
trading.

Could you imagine of MTG was some how able to eliminate trading?
That would be dumb.  I don't really mean to sound like an ass, email
posts lack so much body language as I have been guilty of thinking
like a music industry executive as much as the next dev.

-Erik