[MUD-Dev] Re: A world without charity (was Discussion of MUD system design, development, and implementation)

Chanur Silvarian chanur at guildsite.com
Wed Sep 24 14:18:41 CEST 2003

"Eamonn O'Brien" <decado at esatclear.ie> wrote:

> All this talk of who owns whos sword and ebay trading lately got
> me thinking, and so I started to wonder why players can trade
> items for money, and the answer is simple, because in game
> mechanics generally allow you to hand an item over to a player and
> to recieve nothing in return, an act of charity. So this got me
> thinking, if the game prevented acts of charity such that all you
> could do with an item was junk it (i.e. remove it from the game
> world, not drop it) or trade it for an equally valuable item what
> would this do to the game world?

The problem would be finding players for the world.  If I could not
hand items to my wife or my friends without them needing to repay me
for the items then I would simply not play the game.  What you
suggest is a nightmare to the "social" aspect of the game regardless
of what it does to any other parts.

I have never paid real money for any ingame item/character nor have
I ever sold an ingame item/character for real money so that is not
why I make this statement, I just like to help out my friends and
family and would not play if that were not possible.