[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Sep 22 16:33:28 CEST 2003

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 02:18  PM, Corpheous Andrakin wrote:

> So you can gain xp through money OR work?

Well, it's work either way (at least for those of us who still need
jobs ;-)).  I can work in-game, or I can apply the fruits of working
out-of-game.

> What happens when you have high level people who already paid who
> offer fees lower than yours to level up characters?

That serves a useful niche market--I mean, this is already a
widespread practice.

>   They would have nothing to lose other > than their monthly fee
>   which I'm quite sure they could more than > make up if they
>   offered pay services of their own to level people up > through
>   in game advancement instead of your pay system.

Well, if someone thinks it's worth their time to power-level people
for less money than the game provider is charging for the same xp,
who's to argue?  Probably a lower hourly rate than working at
Starbucks, but that's really up to them.  Since the game provider
provides a baseline, it might serve as a cap on how profitable
leveling and character farming would be for that game.

> The previous idea of pay for access to more areas wasn't so bad.
> That way you'll at least get rid of the old "I'm paying the same
> amount as so and so and playing the same amount of time so I
> should get X, Y and Z."

I don't know that that's necessarily an unreasonable argument.

Amanda Walker