[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sun Sep 21 20:36:32 CEST 2003

On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 07:46  PM, Rayzam wrote:

> Here's a crazy idea: Scale the monthy subscription by advancement
> in the game!

>   Starting character: $2/month
>   Medium character: $10/month
>   High character: $15/month

> This way, you scale the monthly fee to the amount of content the
> character can access. Of course, modify this if the game allows
> multiple accounts, i.e. just take the highest level to determine
> the fee.

How about the other way around: pay a fee to level your character
(this is, in effect, what ebay character trades do).  So many cents
per xp or something.  I'd be all over that.  Time is money.  And
this way, the game provider gets the profit, not players who farm
stuff for ebay from their dorm room.

The powerlevelers could still have fun: "Heh, I can level up a new
character for free, not like those bozos that have to pay."  Those
of us with more income than time can have fun: "I can keep up with
my friends even though I'm working 80 hours a week for the next 3
months". Those of us with intermittent connectivity have an
alternative to getting permanently out of sync: "My guildmates
pitched in to by me 5 levels while I was on duty in the desert."

Scale the fee to how long it would generally take in normal play, so
that the game provider makes the same amount of money either way.

Anything see a problem with this business model?

Amanda Walker