[MUD-Dev] DGN: Why give the players all the numbers?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Sep 19 09:54:45 CEST 2003

From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at ironrealms.com]

>> I learned that from a few weeks of playtime on Achaea, making
>> only casual and social observations.  Sure, this information
>> isn't on websites everywhere, but it is rather easy to obtain for
>> oneself. Someone actually dedicated to discovering the details
>> would have much of this knowledge within the same amount of time.

> I'm not saying no information is obtainable. I'm just saying that
> the people who claim that there's no point in hiding numbers
> because numbers will be easily available via reference material on
> websites or whatnot are expressing a degree of cynicism not
> warranted by the experience of most muds.

True, but I'd be confident in asserting that it is a matter of scale
combined with the nature of your players.

Mana regeneration rate is hidden in EQ, but it didn't take long for
people to turn a packet sniffer on it and work it out, same for
vaious hidden armor protection caps etc. It all got worked out, and
in fairly fast order. Of course all these things are good imho, it
keeps the devs honest and sometimes unearths discrepancies between
how the devs think they've implemented it, and how its actually
working.

Of course EQ is full of min/max power gamers like me :D

Dan