[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Wed Sep 17 19:19:17 CEST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Amanda Walker wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 05:40  AM,
> Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> Well its not an MMO, but I've been playing 'Knights of the old
>> republic' (xbox only atm, and very delayed Euro release)
>> recently, and as I play it I keep asking myself why can't MMOs be
>> more like this.

Oh, the number of times I have asked myself that.

> Right now, my Xbox is used mostly for Halo, DOA3, and occasionally
> Sega GT.  I've been fairly strongly tempted to pick up KOTOR, as
> I've heard a number of people say it plays very well.

You really should. It's a fantastic game. There's almost no real
challenge and yet just drifting along on the story is immensely
entertaining. It's my favorite Xbox game since Halo. The only
disappointment is that the story is almost entirely linear. They
just do a really good job of making it seem like your choices
matter.

> Well, console games do have the advantage of not having any other
> people in them, and having zero network lag--that is, it's still a
> roller coaster on rails, even if you can't see the rails.  That
> said, they certainly set a higher bar for many specific aspects of
> gameplay.

KOTOR is definitely a roller coaster on rails but all console games
are not. Morrowind wasn't, for instance. (I played quite a bit of it
and never even bothered with the 'main quest' as I enjoyed just
being in the world so much.)

--matt