[MUD-Dev] Seamlessly Distributed Online Environments

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Wed Sep 17 01:19:55 CEST 2003

Crosbie Fitch <crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org> wrote:
> From: J C Lawrence

>> Remember: The client is in the hands of the enemy, and in a P2P
>> system, all the nodes are clients and all the nodes are in the
>> hands of the enemy.

> Hah. You know I've got a gripe with that nafphorism don't you? ;-)

> If more than a few percent of file sharers were the enemies
> they're made out to be then file sharing would have collapsed
> immediately. RIAA simply cannot afford enough stooges (computers
> or people) to pollute the MP3 file space faster than it's cleased
> by the users.

I think you've misunderstood the definition of "enemy". Who, in the
Napster world, is an "enemy" (apart from RIAA) ? [rhetorical
question]

The point about games here is that EVERY user has a vested interest
in cheating, and what is more they have full control of any code
running on their PC.

There are *very* few application domains where every user is
rewarded for trying to break the system. Obviously, many users
choose not to, but that doesn't invalidate the incentive - it just
means they resisted it :), whether that was a no-brainer easy
decision to make (because of their playstyle) or not.

In Napster/Kazaa/etc I get no reward for poisoning other people's
files. In fact, unless I'm particularly malicious by nature, and
into upsetting other people, I probably get almost no benefit at
all. ("almost" because I might enjoy the technical challenge, or do
it once for a joke, or something).

Adam M