[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Mon Sep 15 20:10:14 CEST 2003

From: "ceo" <ceo at grexengine.com>
> Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> Getting back on topic, I absolutely want MORE MMO games that
>> depend on player skill and not simply psyche damaging amounts of
>> time logged. We've had this discussion on the list before, and I
>> believe Raph said he didn't think it was particularly easy as it
>> would allienate the suprising majority of less skilled
>> players. Screw em I say.

> IMHO, it's not so much a case of "Screw em" (as you so succinctly
> put it, Dan ;)), but of "Give them a chance, and most of them will
> get a lot better...probably at a mild exponential rate (i.e. very
> slow at first, accelerating rapidly)".

Actually, it's give them a chance and most will leave to other games
around that are easier/faster to power/whatnot. Some will stay and
learn, and appreciate the experience.

And I'm talking empirically. Retromud is by no means easy. However,
we do make things easier for newbies and complexity gets added in
stages.  Still, we see many new players, a lot of whom quit vocally
on channels because its too complicated, its not easy enough, why
can't I just start killing something and have the game just keep
casting the same spell until its dead like in other games.  Players
tell these new players to try to stick it out. They call it 'the
graduate school of mudding'. The new players can learn if they put
the time in. Then the new players reply, why bother, I'll just go
somewhere else.

Yep, about 8 out of 10 ignore the chance.  Granted, this is in the
text mud world, where there are many muds to choose from. As there
are more graphical games, I predict the same will occur as there are
more choices there too. Frankly, we may have hit that point already.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com