[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Markee Dragon

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Mon Sep 15 01:19:37 CEST 2003

(Great post, BTW.)

On Sep 13, katie at stickydata.com wrote:

> I do agree that admitting that in-game items are worth real-world
> cash money is fraught with potential problems of a variety of
> natures, and is also largely uncharted territory.

I think the most effective defense here is to push everything back
into the service space.  You are not selling a sword.  You are
selling the act of "transferring" a sword from one character to
another.  (Does eBay permit auction of services?)

You might choose to give another character this sword because they
are a RL friend getting started; because they have performed a
compensatory service in the game, such as transferring another item
to you; because you still think that everyone who roleplays a flirty
girl/boy really is one; because they put $35 in your paypal account.

Giving someone $35 might be a good way to make a RL friend, in fact.
Strong opening move, if nothing else. =)

Mike