[MUD-Dev] [DGN]: Ludicrous speed.

Michael Chui blizzard36_2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 17:26:29 CEST 2003

--- "Yaka St.Aise" <yaka at st-aise.com> wrote:
> At 13:00 -0700 03/09/10, Michael Chui wrote:

>> I had responded to this earlier on top-level, but it didn't get
>> through the wash.

> Actually, Michael, I did pay good attention to your previous post,
> and went on for a couple of pages adressing the issues it raised
> and the propositions in it, then eventually didn't post because I
> already had posted a huge answer to Chris and didn't want to
> monopolize this thread with possibly redundant points.

By "wash", I mean that I posted and it didn't appear in the
emails. I hadn't realized it had gone through, which is why I posted
a second time. =P Oops.

> Very good point, yet it raises the concern of catering to the
> needs of very separated and possibly antagonistic userbases (in
> the case you run the same game in crossmode), or have two teams
> cannibalizing each other for resources and HR talent (if you
> operate two separate games for text and 3D mode) in the long run.

Community management's job. If they're two separate games, then the
userbases should be regarded as separate. If they're not, then not.
This is a design issue, one that's dependent upon the game itself
and how it's meant to be played, etc.

> Reverse-franchising/derivating could help a lot here: write a
> novel/movie, with the defining element that it must be
> translatable into a graphical MMORPG, yet stand good on its own as
> a novel or movie.  Now substitute the movie/novel with a text MUD,
> and repeat.  You now have a franchise that is perfectly
> translatable into graphical MMORPG, because it was included in the
> design from day one.

Definitely. See? It's not so ludicrous after all. The key point in
novel -> MUD translation is making sure that the World is not
defined by the Characters. Dragonlance was a perfect example before
Dragons of the Summer Flame was published. While the characters
impacted the world, other things could happen at any point in the
timeline or anywhere on Krynn. The key point in textual MUD ->
graphical MUD translation is a Rosetta Stone: being able to describe
everything in either method.

-Michael Chui