[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Thu Sep 11 12:07:24 CEST 2003

From: "Eli Stevens" <listsub at wickedgrey.com>
> Justin Coleman wrote:

> This assumes an implementation of ghosting that allows that kind
> of behavior.  Make it so that ghosts can't see monsters that a
> real player can't see, and the whole advantage goes out the
> window.  Or be mean about it - allow ghosts to see all the
> monsters (except for the nasty ones).

>   Ghost: "Yeah, looks like four gnolls in the cavern ahead."
>   Warrior: "Let's bash 'em!"
>   Mage: "I should get off a chain lightning before you wade in."
>   ...  Sounds of battle...
>   Mage: "Hurrgk."
>   Gnoll: "Humans taste like fish."
>   Warrior Ghost: "Why didn't you tell us about the Ogre?"

> There are all sorts of other intersting things you could do with
> it.  Maybe ghosts can only see _dead_ monsters wandering around,
> before they respawn.  Maybe ghosts can't tell the difference
> between living and dead monsters.  Maybe ghosts make decent
> scouts, but they attract monster ghosts, which have a tendancy to
> respawn.  Esp. during combat.  Or some monsters can only be seen
> by ghosts - go into the graveyard at midnight under a full moon on
> All Hallow's Eve, and you had best have a friendly ghost around to
> tell you what's chewing on your horse.

Ah, but the point about ghosting was to see the content. If you
don't let them see the monsters, then it's not really ghosting as
was first described.

I do like your suggestions about ghosts, which involve more content
generated through and via the ghost-system implementation. It's just
that such an implementation doesn't do what was first requested: the
ability to see the content in a game without interacting with it.

    rayzam