[MUD-Dev] Seamlessly Distributed Online Environments

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Thu Sep 11 11:04:00 CEST 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 00:07, Draymoor (Philip Loguinov) wrote:

> So, the basic idea I have here is creating a protocol to govern
> interaction between a client that can display an arbitrary 3D
> environment and a server that dictates that environment. Servers
> that follow this protocol may then register with a central
> database, creating a city full of nodes.

> People connect to the central database, the city, and can wander
> about. If they enter a building in that city, they automaticly
> connect to the server that runs the node that is that
> building. They then communicate with that server, obeying whatever
> rules the server's writer decides to implement.

<rambling>
Are you thinking of this as 'a city of doors' or are you hinting of
a true seamless distributed world, where the graphics of the houses
you can observe from the street in reality is from different
servers, i.e. the observable 3D content is from mixed servers, and
you may need several connections to control the visible environment
as well as some sort of policy that governs how environmental
effects are allowed to spill over from one server to the
next?. Imagine someone setting a fire to the city, house after house
burning up, each of the servers controlling the house needs to get
information that a fire is building near the object they control,
and they need to decide what to do (let it burn, and send 'fire'
events to nearby objects yet again, perhaps on other servers).
</rambling>

--
--Hans-Henrik Stærfeldt