[MUD-Dev] Re: ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Peter Harkins ph at malaprop.org
Wed Sep 10 22:29:43 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:01:54PM -0600, Lars Duening wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 11:05 AM, Vladimir Cole wrote:

>> I can say without a doubt that if I were able to ghost in
>> Everquest I would have been able to save the guild I lead over
>> four months of hard (but fun) work.

> Uhm, if for you those four months were fun, why would you want to
> spoil them for yourself? Just because a game designer puts in a
> ghost mode, that doesn't mean that you have to use it.

Because part of the fun is the competition with other guilds to see
who can open up new content and defeat new enemies first. The use of
a ghost mode to gain intelligence about future encounters makes them
easier, so any guild that does so will have a clear advantage.

Part of the fun is in figuring it out and succeeding, but it's more
fun to trounce other players. (Look! Player-generated content!)