[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Justin Coleman JMCOLE at MAIN.DJJ.STATE.SC.US
Wed Sep 10 09:04:30 CEST 2003

tess at soulsong.org.uk wrote:

> I dont want always want to be able to change these worlds
> particularly - at least not physically (culturally and politically
> is another matter) - but just let me fly freely over the landscape
> and watch those who enjoy the levelling, and chat with my friends,
> and I will be entirely content to part with my subscription every
> month.

I would argue that this is not only not practical in current
(advancement-based) MMO's, but would actively damage game balance,
and hence gameplay for those who enjoy the hack and slash part (ie,
the game as it was designed).

Imagine a group of adventurers navigating a tough dungeon, getting
surprised by monsters and traps, and fighting for their very
survival. Then imagine that same group, in constant communication
with a "ghost-mode" player who can go anywhere they want without
risk, can see everything, and thus can inform the party of any
lurking "surprises", greatly reducing the challenge designed into
the area.

Grossly unfair to those who do things "right", i.e. in character,
seeing and hearing only what their character can see and hear,
wouldn't you say?

I agree that being able to freely explore a virtual landscape while
chatting with your friends would be wonderful, but the game that
allows you to do that would have to be less of a game, and more of a
virtual zoo (perhaps wildlife preserve would be a better term) - if
one or more people can interact with the world without
risk/consequence, and they can communicate with others, then there
can be no meaningful ("game") interaction for any players without
this capability (i.e. don't have ghosted friends).

-Justin