[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Corpheous Andrakin corpheous at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 04:41:12 CEST 2003

Vladimir Cole wrote:

> Problem with ghost mode is that it makes it too easy for players
> that are lower on the content totem pole to discover spoilers for
> content that they are having trouble with. This will tend to
> accelerate the advancement of all players. Is there any way to
> build content so that it's spoiler proof? If not, it'll get chewed
> up even faster.

According to the Bartle player base, the smallest, yet most
influential and most desirable type of player was the explorer
because no matter what you did, if you added explorers, you added
players.  This comment isn't meant to argue that point though :P
What about attracting explorers through a system LIKE this one?  How
about a skill of exploring that allows you to say, roam certain
areas without being attacked based on such a skill?  In fact, from
what I remember, in most wars were their not messengers that helped
both sides talk and communicate?  Perhaps their role could even
extend to the point where they could run large quest systems where
they helped various kingdoms solve problems amoungst each other or
against a common foe.

Perhaps a whole system like this could be built so that in order to
gain access to more areas (without getting your butt kicked) you had
to complete a series of quests.  For monsters that were
unintelligent they could discover certain items to repel them and
therefore travel through in relative saftey.  By allowing these
"Explorer" type characters do such things you'll have to somehow
inhibit their combat, making it so that they couldn't have the best
of both worlds.  You could even give all the cartography and
identifying skills to these players so that they're still needed as
well as a whole host of other skills.

It's almost like a game within a game, allowing for a much different
playstyle than the tried and true Hack N' Slash.

=====
Corpheous