[MUD-Dev] Ghostmode (was: Re: SW:G)

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Tue Sep 9 17:31:20 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 01:42 PM, Amanda Walker wrote:

> Speaking personally, I'd love a game with a "ghost" mode.  In
> ghost mode, forget the advancement ladder, just fly around
> sightseeing.  Mobs can't affect me, I can't affect them, but I can
> spectate at will (maybe I'm even invisible--call it "dream mode"
> or something).  Make the game interesting as a virtual
> environment, not just a virtual barnyard brawl.

We tried to implement something like that once in a text MUD, but it
never really took off. One reason was a lack of manpower to adjust
all the existing areas to allow ghosts to wander around; the other
inertia from both players and wizards - sightseeing was apparently
not cool enough for players, and for wizards implementing non-combat
oriented features for ghosted players would have required *gasp*
imagination.

I still think it's a neat idea, if done properly.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
GPG Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/lars-duening.gpgkey