[MUD-Dev] Grief teaching? (Was: Re: Why doesn't Lineage count asthe most pop

burra at alum.rpi.edu burra at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Sep 9 12:41:13 CEST 2003

From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
> From: ghovs [mailto:ghovs at plex.nl]

>> How can one be grief-taught? I know I experienced it in school --
>> but in this context?

> When you have a finite capacity to learn and someone gives you
> knowledge you don't want. In UO, skills migrate based on usage, so
> presumably in this case, people could atrophy your key skills by
> doing some useless skill next to you.

Specifically, if you were, say, a 7xGM, with 7 skills at 100
(raising in the upper 90s was the hardest, of course), and someone
were to walk up next to you and light 100 campfires in rapid
succession (possibly with a cheat program), your camping skill would
suddenly fly up to 40. Camping was useless... and those 40 points
came out of your other skills and had to be re-earned.

People would walk up to the Britain bank and do this, it being the
most consistantly crowded place in the game.

What's more, I don't think you could be 'taught' past a certain
level of the skill, and getting low levels was fairly easy in UO- at
worst you dropped gold on an NPC for training up to around 30.

Adam Burr
Madman Across the Water - POL