[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Scott Jennings scottj at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Sep 8 09:20:49 CEST 2003

Matthew Dobervich wrote:

> Would they make a very risky property from a publisher's point of
> view more so?  Yes, to a debatable extent, but I'm willing to give
> you "very much".

> But as with all risk, the rewards for success become greater.
> Regardless of the risks, you will always find takers.

Actually, my point is that the legal system throws the risk-reward
ratio out of whack (something that ought to be familiar to members
of this list!) -- the risk of being legally liable for any game
design decision far outweighs the moderate income that most
successful MMOs generate.

And businesses have far more experience with managing risk/reward
than game designers.

---
Scott Jennings
Programmer