[MUD-Dev] Why doesn't Lineage count as the most popular MMOG ever?

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Mon Sep 8 07:46:57 CEST 2003

From: "Jason Smith" <virgil at gold-sonata.com>
> From: Daniel Anderson

>> When a developer is asked what is the most popular MMOG, they
>> will typically say EQ.  When they are asked about Lineage, an
>> often heard response is, "Well, that doesn't count."  My question
>> is, why doesn't Lineage count?  It does in fact have the highest
>> subscription rate, right?

> I guess it boils down to the fact that with vastly different
> methods of subscriber-accounting, due to vastly different playing
> cultures, you can't actually compare the products directly. Most
> journalists and developers will therefore go with their native
> culture - I'm sure that it works the same way in Korea as well.

Yknow, its interesting that there are all these metrics for
comparing MMOs against each other too. It sounds like the same
advancement ladders, comparisons and whatnot that player use within
the games. The same multiple ladders we talk about including in
games to keep more players playing and happy.

RL has MMOs competing the same ways the players compete inside them.

Very interesting.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com