[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Server Bottlenecks

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Sep 5 00:36:45 CEST 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:38:45 +0100
Jim Purbrick <Jpurbrick at climax.co.uk> wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:

>> I also tend to do what I call lock time graphs, which are simple
>> records of how much time is spent waiting for the various types and
>> locations of locks.  (There's probably a more standard name for this)

> How do you generate the graphs? Using a tool or using logging?

I do it by instrumenting all the relevant calls.  I record the purpose
of the lock at creation time (usually the data type being managed or
some other like details), and then the time of entry into the lock call
and time of exit using the high resolution clock.  All that data then
gets written out to a file (tightly packed binary format to minimise IO
load and interference) which various scripts run over to build reports.

Of course it suffers the standard Heisenburg problems, but you can still
get a wealth of useful data.

--
J C Lawrence