[MUD-Dev] Load Testing a MUD

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Wed Sep 3 17:15:15 CEST 2003

On 02 September 2003 20:47, Scott wrote:

> Has anyone come up with a way to load test a mud?

(to put my geek hat on for a change) I have not load tested a MUD,
but I have loaded tested other applications using LoadRunner from
Mercury Interactive.

It's a fairly serious (read expensive) piece of software so I always
rent it together with some professional services to configure and
run and to do some results analysis. I have not used Mercury's
professional services but most SI firms have LoadRunner services.

The reason for the services being that it can fire load at you
application that will simply kill the system unless you put in
behavioural characteristics e.g. 'think time' and stuff. It's
licensed on the basis of the number of users you need to simulate
and the time you need it for - anticipate at least $10k to get you
started.

OK its expensive but compared to go-live without serious stress test
and considering the cost of the rest of most projects I've always
found it to be well worth the money.

  http://www.mercuryinteractive.com/products/loadrunner/

Ren
www.renreynolds.com