[MUD-Dev] Expected value and standard deviation.

Freeman Freeman
Wed Sep 3 12:05:47 CEST 2003

From: Jeff Cole [mailto:jeff.cole at mindspring.com]

> Ah, but to be so cynical. ;-P Let me try: all that is so much
> 'nuff said ... if (the dreaded If) your game is so mind-numbingly
> devoid of entertainment value that players can only measure
> themselves against the Developer Metric(R).  Bleh.

> Even in my system, though, you can still tell them (or not tell
> them) exactly what you want.

Yeah.  I don't think it matters much if your advancement is broad or
narrow, tall or short, subtle, obvious or even reversed, as long as
the feedback to the player is absolutely obvious and unmistakable.

I think you can get away with anything so long as you tell the
player that he is, in no uncertain terms, doing very well, and is
now mightier than he was before.

But then you lose the aspect you mentioned earlier, of having a less
obvious advancement in hopes that players would focus on advancement
less.

I'm not sure I'd follow far along the road of "Well yes, this could
be a problem, but the rest of the game will be so great that I don't
expect it to be of any concern whatsoever."  That is a highway
fraught with marauders.

Oh, but I do think this is a keen idea.