[MUD-Dev] [TECH] Server Bottlenecks

Jim Purbrick Jpurbrick at climax.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 10:41:25 CEST 2003

Where are the normal bottlenecks in server scalability? I've seen a
lot of posts suggesting that thread-per-connection implementations
limit scalability due to context switching. Are there any tools for
Windows/Linux for diagnosing context switching problems? I've
<cough>inherited</cough> a multiple thread per connection network
library and will need to prove that its the limiting factor before I
get to change it. Where else are server bottlenecks found and which
tools are useful for finding them? As the context switching issue
shows, straight profiling isn't always enough.