[MUD-Dev] Scripting Languages and Magic

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Tue Oct 28 23:39:57 CET 2003

From: "Marian Griffith"

>> I do know that there is a book on the runes mostly used in
>> Scandinavian area in the era of Vikings. It also contained some
>> myths on what magic was associated with which runes - Thors rune
>> was associated with Strength if I remember correct. Been a while
>> though.

> However, it is uncertain if those runes were really used as an
> alphabet. It may well be that they were more like the signs of the
> zodiac.  Part of an extensive religious and magical system, but
> not an alphabet.  (i.e. you can not write down arbitrary messages
> in them)

The Runes in scandinavia was both used practically, as decoration
and for anything else involving scribing, rites or magic. Rune
stones across the lands still stands and you can study the runes
there. I guess it's lucky that they liked setting things in stone so
much, or there'd been almost nothing left to examine.

Mind you, it's uncertain if all the runes were .. humm .. "Runes of
Power" would be the correct definition I think. After all, so much
history was lost during christianity taking foothold.  Luckily for
us, that means that we can interpret this as we wish to.

---
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)