[MUD-Dev] Scripting Languages and Magic

Freeman Freeman
Wed Oct 8 08:09:57 CEST 2003

From: Edward Glowacki [mailto:glowack2 at msu.edu]
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 17:22, Patrick Dughi wrote:

>> I thought that a magic scripting system would be an excellent
>> choice not for players, but for my content creators.  The impact
>> of a scripted-spell system for players would be minimal; few may
>> struggle through the learning phase, and as was noted, getting
>> metrics on random scripts to insure balance can be difficult,
>> though it could be done.  In the end though, it doesn't seem
>> worth the massive effort it would require.

> I don't think I ever followed the logic far enough to deduce its
> use as a development tool, but I did pretty much rule it out for
> something that everyone could/should do.

There aren't many things that *everyone* should do.  Depends on who
the author is and who the audience is supposed to be.  Or more to
the point, what your motivations for making a MUD are in the first
place.  I don't think there's anything wrong with making a MUD for
no other reason than to satisfy your own desire to make a MUD (or a
particular type of MUD, or a MUD with a particular feature).

> Its appeal is fairly narrow, it's entrance requirements are high
> (at least to do anything non-trivial), and the learning curve can
> be a big deterrant.

I do think there are enough people out there who enjoy and are
familiar enough with programming languages to think this the
greatest thing ever.  So, I don't think the above reasons
necessarily preclude this from being a "successful" MUD, depending
on your criteria for success.

If it's something you want to do and can do, I think some people
would play it and enjoy it.