[MUD-Dev] Language and platform for Text MUD server

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Fri Nov 21 10:47:39 CET 2003

Andrew Batyuck wrote:

> I am doing non-commercial text MUD and rewritten platform from
> scratch several times. Main question is - "What language and
> platform can give good speed and decent extensibility" I
> discovered following in my efforts:

IMHO, with the current state of technology, I'd say you could almost
pick any language you want.

>   - Java - VERY extensible, cross-platform and VERY slow and
>   memory consuming

>   - C# - MOST extensible, cross-platform? =) and rather slow

It sounds like what you're experiencing here is object churn.  A
large number of small temporary objects (likely instances of
java.lang.String considering the application).

By generating a large number of temporary objects, you're causing
the GC to run fairly constantly creating the slowdown experienced.
This might be your issues with C# as well.  (As I've not had any
performance issues with an application reading gb of data at a
time).

>   - C++ - extensible, cross-platform with usage of third-party libs
>   and decent speed

>   - C - best speed, but not extensible

> The only variant i see is to implement own language compiler or
> interpreter that would be extensible and quick - the only choices
> here are C and C++.

> What is your opinion?

> P.S. Don't push me for my english, i am Russian =)

Another option is the softcode approach, both Mozilla Rhino (java)
and Mozilla Spidermonkey (c) are easy to embed into an application.
All you would need to do is write hooks to any external support you
need.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom