[MUD-Dev] Second Life's customers own the IP of their creatio ns

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Nov 20 15:46:38 CET 2003

From: Mike Shaver [mailto:shaver at off.net]

>   "Until now, any content created by users for persistent state
>   worlds, such as EverQuest or Star Wars Galaxies, has
>   essentially become the property of the company developing and
>   hosting the world," said Rosedale. "We believe our new policy
>   recognizes the fact that persistent world users are making
>   significant contributions to building these worlds and should be
>   able to both own the content they create and share in the value
>   that is created. The preservation of users' property rights is a
>   necessary step toward the emergence of genuinely real online
>   worlds."

Am I missing something, or is this a fatuous attention seeking press
release?

Everquest and SWG aren't even comparable given that they don't allow
the creation of truly unique items. At best they give you instances
of dev designed items with mildly varying parameters. Hardly
something a player could justifiably claim any IP over.

By announcing this, are they trying to wash their hands of
responsibility for copyright infringements by their users?

Dan