[MUD-Dev] Second Life's customers own the IP of their creatio ns

Lee Sheldon lsheldo2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Nov 20 11:26:19 CET 2003

Christer Enfors wrote:

> I'm most likely wrong on this, but I always thought that the
> author of something (say, an object in Second Life) always own
> copyright (IP == copyright?) on it. Just because the terms of
> service may say otherwise, that doesn't supercede copyright law,
> does it?

> So if I'm right, this doesn't really change anything. Authors have
> always owned their work, even if the producers of the authors'
> tools don't realise this.

Screenwriters routinely sign away their copyrights on every
television or film script they write. Whether somebody clicking I
Agree to a TOS is equal under the law to these signed contracts, I
don't know. But there's certainly lots of precedent for authors
-not- retaining copyright to their own work.

Lee