[MUD-Dev] Second Life's customers own the IP of their creatio ns

Christer Enfors XW {TN/PAC} christer.xw.enfors at ericsson.com
Thu Nov 20 08:08:09 CET 2003

Mike Shaver wrote:

> The Creative Commons element is interesting too, but the key issue
> is clearly that they're leaving (giving?) the players' IP with
> them.

[snip]

I'm most likely wrong on this, but I always thought that the author
of something (say, an object in Second Life) always own copyright
(IP == copyright?) on it. Just because the terms of service may say
otherwise, that doesn't supercede copyright law, does it?

So if I'm right, this doesn't really change anything. Authors have
always owned their work, even if the producers of the authors' tools
don't realise this.

--
Christer Enfors, AKA Dannil