[MUD-Dev] Removing access to entertainment

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Nov 19 10:20:25 CET 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 17:35, John Buehler wrote:

>   1. Don't remove or limit my ability to see the game world in an
>   entertaining way.  A dark screen is NOT entertaining.  It only
>   adds to eye strain.  A rainstorm isn't 'fun'.  It only impairs
>   my ability to move around the game world to find the real
>   entertainment in the game.

Dark surroundings, and even blindness can be a very scary
experience, all depending on how deep the player is emerged in the
game world. Making it interresting (like making some b/w contours
appear when you sense an opponent, or use advanced sound systems to
make you hear from where you are hit should limit the simple 'dull'
experiemce of a black screen.  Playing the initial sequence of
'Silent Hill' will show you that darkness can indeed be a
'thrilling' experience. Rainstorms aren't 'fun' unless you use them
to call down lightning on your enemies (insert fancy graphics here),
then they suddenly becomes extremely amusing.

--
--Hans-Henrik Stærfeldt