[MUD-Dev] Web vs. Java client

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Nov 13 00:11:34 CET 2003

Jeff Fuller wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:

>> If magic is working with arcane runes and powers invisible to
>> most mortals, how much different is that from getting your perl
>> script to help you in battle? :)

> Because you give a certain class of players a distinct advantage
> with skills outside the scope of the game. People who can and
> understand programming become elite warriors. Those who do not
> become sheep, and in turn become frustrated and leave your
> environment. You end up with a serious imbalance in game
> mechanics.

> It hardly seems fair if some brilliant coder has devised a special
> script that lets him react at twice the speed of a non scripted
> player in your game world, thus rendering your non-scripted player
> weaker due to technology not play skill/knowledge.

It's been a while since I played, and when I did I used triggers and
macros to take care of the mundane stuff.  I also am a coder and
would want to use my skills to my advantage, so perhaps my
world-view is warped too far from the bell curve :)

That said....I know there are folks that have all kinds of
advantages over me, maybe faster typers, readers, faster net
connections, better equipment, better knowledge of the game world,
etc.  If I happen to be a better (or more persistent) scripter than
most others, then it gives me a way to flourish where otherwise I
might always be relegated to the lower gaming castes...

Assuming the players log in from all sorts of net connections on all
sorts of computers and potentially with all sorts of gaming clients,
where do you draw the line for 'outside the scope of the game'.  My
opinion is that the server determines what you can and cannot do in
the world.  Anything you can use to your advantage is within the
realm of the game is fair play.  'Anything' also involves all the
social interactions that lead other players in the game to help or
hinder you, as well....

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>