[MUD-Dev] Web vs. Java client

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Sat Nov 8 18:37:15 CET 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:

> What do they do with it?  I'm having a hard time picturing
> non-griefer applications.

Oh, lots of things, ranging from setting up auto-harvesters (sad
game design flaw that requires people to "harvest <plant>" over and
over) to using it to help themselves out in combat. (Our combat is
extremely fast and text-heavy. Most people cannot compete without
some triggers, though triggers can also be used against a combatant
if you know the combatant has a trigger to do something that uses up
a resource.)

>> It still lacks the functionality of Zmud (the gold standard of
>> text mud clients) in that it doesn't have an auto-mapping
>> feature, for instance.

> That's a good idea to implement, when possible, but in a
> node-based MUD it's hard to do.  An earlier version of my MUD used
> a coordinate system, but I ditched that after playtesting.

That's what Zmud's auto-mapper does though. It auto-maps node-based
MUDs.  Check out: http://www.achaea.com/maps.htm and click on
"Layout version of the heartland of the continent". I believe those
maps were made using Zmud's auto-mapper though I'm not absolutely
positive about it (a player mapped it).

--matt