[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Threshold RPG business at threshold-rpg.com
Thu May 29 17:43:16 CEST 2003

On 24 May 2003, at 0:59, Marian Griffith wrote:
> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Thu 22 May, Threshold RPG wrote:
>> On 21 May 2003, at 23:01, Marian Griffith wrote:

>>> It may be different where you live, but in my part of the world
>>> cities often have lots of statues to remember dead people. There
>>> also are graveyards around the older churches, and some cities
>>> are in and of themselves memorials of horrible things that have
>>> been done in the past, yet those do not make people sad (or more
>>> sad).

>> Sure they do.  You are arguing against a straw man here.

> Excuse me?  I think I do not quite understand what you are trying
> to say here.

You were arguing against a straw man because you were making a point
that was countering something I never said.

I did not say that it is unrealistic to have in-game memorials to
people. I said it is inappropriate because people login to games to
get away from the real world.

You then countered that by saying "no, look at all the real world
memorials!". Well, that is a straw man argument.

> I am not going to drag this argument along with even more examples
> other than saying that I argued the role monuments, memorials and
> graveyard's play in human culture, irrespective of that it is a
> virtual or 'real' culture.

If straw men had rights, you'd be on trial for murder at this
point. :)