[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Jeff Cole jeff.cole at mindspring.com
Thu May 22 15:14:04 CEST 2003

From: Threshold RPG
> From: Dave Rickey

>> I'll grant this, resolving the problem of drops and crafted
>> having to compete on the same scale was never really resolved.
>> It's my belief that as long as they *are* competing on the same
>> scale, the problem is unsolvable, one or the other will always
>> dominate.

> I think the ultimate solution to this is a system where everything
> that can be dropped can also be crafted with only a few exceptions
> on either end.

> In other words, a few rare items that can only be found from
> monsters and a few rare items that can only be crafted.

This doesn't address the core problem: demand.  At least for
equippable items.  There simply isn't enough demand to support
drop/crafter competition in the market.  What's more, you can't
effectively create the demand without alienating customers,
especially the mythic casual-kind.

If you shift the focus of crafting onto maintaining/enhancing drops
(of course, requiring dropped materials--ore, jewels (magical),
etc.), then you have not only eliminated competition between loot
and crafted, but also created additional markets for goods (the
required materials) and services (for crafters).  More subtly, you
can much more effectively and transparently manage resource sinks.

Yrs. Affcty,
Jeff Cole