[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Jason Gauthier jgauthier at lastar.com
Thu May 22 09:03:36 CEST 2003

From: Bruce Mitchener [mailto:bruce at cubik.org]
> J C Lawrence wrote:

>> First you need to clarify what you mean by a database.  RDBMS?
>> Object?  Hierarchal?  Tuplespace?  What?

> What about spatial databases?

Speaking of moving in this direction:

I maintain my MUD to run under both unix and windows. (cygwin-style)
I distribute binary only copies of the mud so I can give it to
people who wish to help us build the world.

If I wanted to move away from the flat file, and go to a DB of some
sort (SQL, BDB, etc) How would I consider allowing this to work
across platform?

Or perhaps if I wish to keep this portability it will lock me into
my current structure?