[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Ghovs ghovs at plex.nl
Wed May 21 10:56:38 CEST 2003

Threshold RPG wrote:
> On 15 May 2003, at 22:14, Marian Griffith wrote:

>> I am sorry, but I fail to see why anybody's enjoyment of a game
>> would be diminished by the presence of a monument.

> Because it makes them think of something sad and depressing. It
> reminds them of tragedies in their own lives and forces them to
> relive them.

> Instead of logging on and having fun, they are faced with a very
> depressing thing.

I may be crazy, but I can always enjoy a good tragedy. Despite the
fact that most decent tragedies contain elements I have had the
misfortune to experience in real life, I will sometimes even
purposefully seek out a tragedy, either in a game or in a
theater. Despite the bad memories that are touched by it.

The way you put it, the fact that monuments to war heroes are
littered across the landscape in just about every country in the
world could be seen as deeply oppressing to pacifists. Or how about
a momument to victims of irrational, senseless violence in a street
full of bars and restaurants?

In practice, such monuments are simply ignored by people who just
don't care. They don't read the sign, they don't really care what it
looks like and they just walk on heedlessly, not reflecting upon
what the monument stands for. I don't think it forces anyone to
think anything if they don't feel like it.

And to even argue in favor of such monuments, they add to a world,
by marking its history. History contains a lot of dead people who
were killed when we didn't want them to die, but they should be
remembered, so that their ideals, their effect on the world, retain
momentum. There's nothing like a historical figure, a remembered
hero, statesman or artisan, to inspire people. It enables one to
carry out a culture, an immersive world, with far greater depth.

If that isn't fun, I am curious why not.

rgds,
ghovs