[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Wed May 21 08:50:55 CEST 2003

J C Lawrence wrote:

>   ObNote: Bruce Mitchener pointed me a while back at some
>   excellent discussions on another list about various schemas and
>   models for object definitions for games (gdalgorithms?).  There
>   was good stuff in there that you might like to look at to help
>   understand how game objects can be constructed, manipulated, etc
>   in useful and sometimes surprising fashions.

That particular thread was on sweng-gamedev:

  * http://lists.midnightryder.com/pipermail/sweng-gamedev-midnightryder.com/2003-March/000704.html

But there have been numerous threads this year on sweng-gamedev and
gd-algorithms about object models and component messaging.  Some of
that revolved around some of the things presented at recent GDCs:

  * http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/gdc/
    GDC stuff from Scott Bilas about Dungeon Siege.

  * http://www.gdconf.com/archives/2003/Duran_Alex.ppt
    Alex Duran's presentation on the object system used in
    Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3.

There was also an object system round table this year:

  * http://www.gamearchitect.net/Articles/GameObjectRoundtable.html

And Kyle Wilson, who provided that summary, also has some articles on
the subject:

  * http://www.gamearchitect.net/Articles/DataDrivenDesign.html
  * http://www.gamearchitect.net/Articles/GameObjects1.html
  * http://www.gamearchitect.net/Articles/GameObjects2.html
  * http://www.gamearchitect.net/Articles/GameObjects3.html

Part of one of the threads from gd-algorithms:

  * http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=3675896
  * http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=3655435

Other threads from sweng-gamedev:

  * http://lists.midnightryder.com/pipermail/sweng-gamedev-midnightryder.com/2003-April/000840.html
  * http://lists.midnightryder.com/pipermail/sweng-gamedev-midnightryder.com/2003-May/000886.html
  * http://lists.midnightryder.com/pipermail/sweng-gamedev-midnightryder.com/2003-March/000740.html

None of that has to do with databases ... but then, one should
probably know how their object system and model are going to work
and see what demands that imposes on the related storage facilities.

Cheers,

  - Bruce