[MUD-Dev] D&D and MMORPGs

Chris Holko cholko at mindspring.com
Mon May 19 06:24:01 CEST 2003

From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>

> Well, I guess the whole issue has become considerably more
> relevant.  We knew it was going to happen sooner than later...

> From: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ddonline/news_6028104.html

What makes this all the more curious is that Turbine is also
production Middle Earth Online.  This means they have TWO very well
know franchises that they are tasked to create a game around.  I
don't think it bodes well for AC2 as it could be implied they were
distracted during the creation of that game or worse, it was created
just to sell their ability with graphics.

Part of me wants to see a MEO and D&D online game but part of me
doesn't.  They both are probably far better remembered than seen up
close.  Like the LOTR films, if your a fan of the books you can
enjoy the films, but you can also find many faults.

My biggest inhibition towards MEO and D&D coming out in MMORPG form
is Turbine.  Simply put their track record is abysmal, regardless of
that total BS of a press release.  They are constantly releasing
shoddy updates and now schedule "HOT FIXES" in their "premier" game
AC2, which can barely muster 4k online during peak times.  A company
with the garage programmer mentality (or "cowboy programming") is
being overly rewarded.