[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Geir Ove Alnes xuri at sensewave.com
Thu May 15 18:11:41 CEST 2003

On 10 May 2003, at 21:40, Threshold RPG wrote:
> On 9 May 2003, at 21:25, Geir Ove Alnes wrote:

>> I haven't experienced anything like this myself, but I think that
>> if a friend of mine (real life-friend OR one I only knew through
>> an online game) passed away I would be grateful to the admins of
>> that game for putting up a memorial.

> So hundreds, if not thousands or even hundreds of thousands should
> have their enjoyment of the game (and enjoyment is the intended
> purpose of the game's existence) so you can "feel grateful"?

> In my opinion, those who think games should create such memorials
> are being very selfish. They are putting their personal feelings
> ahead of the purpose of the game and the enjoyment of the masses
> who play there.

Hundreds of thousands of players getting their enjoyment of the game
ruined because of - for instance - a stone with markings like "in
memory of Bob"?  I think you are over-estimating the number of
players who would ever notice and/or even care.

It would of course depend on how "visible" the memorial would be to
the other players, whether it's announced through all public
channels, the actual number of requests for such memorials, etc. -
but still - I hold to the opinion that it's possible to do it
without ruining the enjoyment of all other players.

-Geir Ove Alnes